|Creating a good database is a major and ongoing challenge for most organisations and the issue that keeps coming up is Duplicate Records. This blog will show you how Dynamics CRM can help avoid Duplication.
Microsoft Dynamics uses duplicate detection rules to determine whether a record is a potential duplicate. When a duplicate detection rule is published a matchcode is created for the record. This matchcode is checked automatically against records that are being created or updated against existing matchcode within existing records.Microsoft Dynamics has simple default duplicate-detection rules already set up for accounts, contacts and leads that are based upon the records with the same e-mail address.Dynamics CRM default duplicate detection are available:
- When a record is created or updated. This includes when a record created with the Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook is tracked in Microsoft Dynamics CRM.
- During Data import
Enable and Disable Duplicate Detection
So now we know a little bit about Microsoft Dynamics Duplicate detection. We need to now ensure that Duplicate Detection is enabled.
- In the navigation panel, click Settings, System, Data Management and then Duplication Detection Settings
- Select whether you want duplicate detection to be on or off.
Note: Many organisations will want to use duplicate detection in almost all areas possible to ensure that records are not duplicated. Quick word of warning though… this may hurt performance depending on the size of your database and/or your server specification
- Select when you would like duplicate detection to take place.
- When a record is created and updated
Users will be prompted automatically before saving or importing potential duplicate records of any record type for which a published duplicate-detection rule exists.Note: Duplication detection will not take place when a user merges two records, converts a lead or when an activity is completed.
- When Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook goes offline to online
If you are using Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook you must select how you would want duplicate detection to work when synchronising data. By default, duplicates will not be detected when Microsoft Dynamics synchronises records.
- During Data import Each time a user defines a data import job, the choice to check for duplicates will be available.
- Click OK
Removing duplication-detection for one record type.
There may be a record which you decide that you don’t need duplication detection, so this shows how this is done.
- In the Navigation Panel, click Settings, Customization, Customizations and Customize the System
- Double click the record type where you want duplication detection to be disabled.
- Within the Data Services section ensure that Duplicate Detection is not ticked.
- Click Save and Close
- Publish your customisations by clicking on Publish within the entity.
Note: If you are making a lot of customisations you may forgot to publish from within the record, so as good practise you may want to click the “Publish All Customizations” button from the Customize the System screen.
In the next blog we will look how to create and edit duplicate detection rules
If you require any further assistance with Dynamics CRM (all versions) contact the CRM experts at Focus.